CALL TO ACTION: Make an insole for the soul! Create a felt insole with an uplifting message and give it to someone who needs it.
BACKGROUND: We are living in uncertain times. Many people are worried in their everyday lives, for their future and even their children’s future. Sometimes it feels difficult just putting on your shoes and going out the door. How do you walk into the future with strength and positivity? In this action the focus is to lift spirits as we move forward.
LAST DAY OF ACTION: January 21, 2017 (You can give away in-SOULs anytime up to the last day.
1. Using 100% wool yarn, loosely knit or crochet to a length that suits the size of the insole. You can calculate this length by measuring the length and width of the foot size and adding 20% to each side. Double that length for a pair of insoles.
If you don’t know how to knit or crochet you can recycle an old sweater or scarf that has a high percentage of wool in it. You may already have a sweater that you have ruined.
2. Felting the yarn. After knitting/crocheting, wash in the washing machine on HOT together with an old towel (this will provide needed friction). IMPORTANT! Put your knitted/crocheted item in a linen bag when washing to prevent the wool from “shedding” and ruining your washing machine.
If you feel that the yarn hasn’t “pulled together” enough, you can wash at a higher temperature or finish it off by hand. You do this by using a little dish soap and rubbing the piece between your hands.
5. When dry, take an insole from a shoe that you already have, or a paper template, lay on the felt and cut out the insole.
6. Embroider with an uplifting message. TIPS! Use a thinner yarn when embroidering and don’t embroider too tight.
7. Give away. If you don’t know a the person´s shoe size, make the insole a little bigger and write a note saying that s/he can cut the insole to fit their shoe.
Remember to use yarn that you already have. If you haven’t got any, ask your friends and neighbors if they have any that they won’t be using. If you must buy, try to buy from a second-hand store, charity shop or garage sale.
If you aren’t already a member of our Facebook group, please join. If you don’t have Facebook and you decide to participate in this CALL TO ACTION, please let me know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org